Our history



1947

Founded in 1947 by Desmond Ormsby, our journey started in Te Kuiti.

1947

Founded in 1947 by Desmond Ormsby, our journey started in Te Kuiti.

1953

The grand opening of our Te Kuiti Depot, located 42 Carroll Street, which was re-built in 1977.

1953

The grand opening of our Te Kuiti Depot, located 42 Carroll Street, which was re-built in 1977.

1989

We re-branded and formed Waitomo Brennan Petroleum.

1989

We re-branded and formed Waitomo Brennan Petroleum.

1994

We started our Fuel Direct service in Auckland.

1994

We started our Fuel Direct service in Auckland.

1996

We changed our name to Waitomo Petroleum Limited.

1996

We changed our name to Waitomo Petroleum Limited.

2002

The Ormsby family buys our shares back from Mobil, making us proudly Kiwi-owned and operated.

2002

The Ormsby family buys our shares back from Mobil, making us proudly Kiwi-owned and operated.

2012

We open our first Fuel Stop located in Te Uku.

2012

We open our first Fuel Stop located in Te Uku.

2015

Waitomo - Kiwis fueling Kiwis is branded to align with our core values.

2015

Waitomo - Kiwis fueling Kiwis is branded to align with our core values.

2019

We disrupt the fuel market in the Capital, and start ramping up our national network expansion, heading to the South Island.

2019

We disrupt the fuel market in the Capital, and start ramping up our national network expansion, heading to the South Island.

2022

We celebrate 75 years proudly fueling Kiwis.

2022

We celebrate 75 years proudly fueling Kiwis.

2022

We're due to open New Zealand's first hydrogen refueling site at a new Fuel Stop currently under construction in Palmerston North.

2022

We're due to open New Zealand's first hydrogen refueling site at a new Fuel Stop currently under construction in Palmerston North.